Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Book 1: A Chicken in Every Yard

I have finished one! It wasn't on my January list. Oops, forgive me.

A Chicken in Every Yard by Robert and Hannah Litt.



Yes, we are thinking about getting chickens. The book was very encouraging, but I'm still feeling a little intimidated about having these little pets/laborers in our backyard. The chapter about different breeds made me think that every kind of chicken is an absolute delight and that I should get at least one of each (never fear: that won't happen because the city ordinances limit us to 3 hens for the size of our lot).

Stay tuned to see if we get any chicks.

6 comments:

  1. I thought about it for a bit... Still debating on it. Perhaps if you go for it, I will see if I want to from your experience. :) The Lees have chickens. You should talk to Hideko.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boise hosts a Tour de Coop every fall. You can go around and look at others chicken coops and ask questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Kait, the question is, do you have a backyard flock or are you getting one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've thought about it, too. Not incredibly seriously, but I've got to read the book now. Wait...aren't you vegan?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Er, yes, April, I am. But perhaps I could eat eggs from my own chickens, since I would know what they're eating. :shudder:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get them. You won't regret it. I would so love to have some. Someday...There really isn't anything better than eating eggs the day they were laid. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete