Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Book 4: The New Rules of Lifting for Women

Remember, I must learn things from books. So forgive me for this somewhat embarrassingly non-literary choice.



In my former life, I used to lift--heavy, not "Barbie weights", as author Schuler calls the pastel-colored hand weights at the gym--three times a week, rain or shine, in sickness and health, blah blah blah. But then some small people came into my life and my physical conditioning became a significantly lower priority. If you've slept 4 non-consecutive hours the night before, are you really going to get up and go to the gym before breakfast? No way.

Nonetheless, I would like to be stronger again. This book was recommended to me, so I bought the Kindle version and lapped it up. It was a quick, fun read, sprinkled with wry humor.

I like that the exercises are challenging, using free weights (though a bit scary!), and that you only do about 5 large-muscle-group moves per workout, not 820 isolation exercises for your triceps and biceps, for instance. Honestly, when I'm pressed for time, I'm going to skip the bicep and tricep curls.

I can't tell you how the actual workouts are going, though, because as soon as I finished the book and renewed my gym membership, I found myself bedridden by a few important yet uncooperative muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment