Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Book 23: Siblings Without Rivalry

Alas, I am at a point in my parenting life in which I need this book.



The premise of the book is basically that if you ignore or force kids to repress their negative feelings about their siblings, it leads to worse feelings. Allowing kids to express their feelings in safe, non-name-calling ways seems to lead to better feelings. Veeeery eeeenteresting. I'm going to try out the strategies and see how they work. The techniques are simple, and they provide ideas for working with very young children, too, so I am hopeful we can get off to a good start with the kidlets' relationships with each other.

I also have another of Faber and Mazlish's books: How to Talk So Your Kids Will Listen, and How to Listen So Your Kids Will Talk. That's on the To Read Soon pile.

1 comment:

  1. Does it work with a 17 year old who gets offended by a 5 year old saying "I have more than you!" ?? :)

    ReplyDelete