Sunday, July 27, 2014

Book 27: All Joy and No Fun: The Paradox of Modern Parenthood

If you were in my presence during the time that I was reading this, you undoubtedly heard me excitedly telling you all about it.




So much of it rang true to my experience as a parent. I loved the first section about parenting preschool children and the challenges that poses to individuals and their relationships. Senior has some theories as to why parenting sometimes feels like 99% boredom and 1% panic. She does this by presenting several case studies of families in each stage of parenting: those parenting the very young, those with elementary school age children, and families with teenagers. The case studies are presented with empathy and without unnecessary judgment. 

I think most parents will see some aspect of themselves in it, no matter what "type" of parent you are. It helped me understand myself and my stage of life in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment