Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Book 68: Escape

I have this morbid fascination with polygamy--I often have dreams (nightmares?) about polygamy, and yet I am still interested in learning more about it.

Escape, by Carolyn Jessop

This book was more disturbing than I expected. The brutality toward women and children in the community is very upsetting. I was also honestly surprised at how different the FLDS doctrine seems to be from LDS teachings. I definitely knew the two groups were different, but I had no idea just how different we were.

Some have criticized Carolyn Jessop, saying that her experience was not the norm and her family was more violent and disfunctional than the rest of the community. This probably means I'll have to read more about the FLDS to be able to get a more complete picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment