Monday, April 29, 2013

Book 29: Good Calories, Bad Calories

Given my suggestibility, you might think that having finished this book, I have now gone low-carb. I am not a low-carb person--it is virtually impossible to be truly low-carb and vegetarian/vegan, so it is not really my thing. But I did find the book interesting anyway. I have given some thought to being more cautious about refined carbohydrates like flour (even whole grain flours).

File:Good calories bad calories book.jpg

The book is so full of research that it's hard to imagine how scientists have not come to these conclusions--Taubes makes it sound like it's *so obvious* that insulin is the issue, not calories. But it makes me wonder how it could be so obvious and yet missed by so many.

In light of my intermittent fasting, I did like his explanation of waves of hunger possibly representing the body switching from using glucose as fuel to using glycogen and ketone bodies, and I like the idea that the brain might run better on ketone bodies than glucose! Bring on the fasting for brain power.

This is a 26-hour beast. Woe be unto the one who loses her place in the middle on an iPod Shuffle.

2 comments:

  1. 26 hours of this overwhelms me. Nice - nice - nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out sprouting and fermenting(souring) whole grain flours. Interesting stuff and SO yummy! ;)

    ReplyDelete