Thursday, April 4, 2013

Book 23: The World Until Yesterday

This was a great book. It discusses the way all humans lived until the advent of agriculture and larger societies like chiefdoms and states, which was not that long ago in the grand scheme of things. Our ancestors were all living this way and, dare I say, our bodies and minds are designed to live a more hunter-gatherer lifestyle.

The World Until Yesterday by Jared Diamond

I especially loved the chapters about childrearing, treatment of elders, and health and diet. I wish he had gone into a bit more detail about health and physical activity, in particular. There are some things I'd like to incorporate into our lives, like more connections between people, and less sugar and salt in our diets.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I am putting this on my list! We've been eating a more 'traditional' diet lately which stems from Weston A Price's research in Nutrition and Physical Degeneration. This one sounds well-rounded. Adding.

    ReplyDelete