Friday, April 26, 2013

Book 28: The FastDiet

After I finished reading Food in Jars, I bought a water bath canner. Before I even started reading The FastDiet, I started intermittent fasting. Clearly, I'm very suggestible.



We watched the BBC Horizon documentary called Eat, Fast and Live Longer and jumped right in. I knew about research that showed that people who restrict calories essentially for their entire lives have longer, healthier lifespans, but most of us (including me) aren't superhuman enough to be able to do that. I'd also heard an episode of our local NPR station's program Radio West about the benefits of fasting. I've fasted for religious purposes, but not for health reasons. And having been pregnant and/or nursing for many a year, I haven't fasted in a long time.

The book gave some important details that have helped us have successful fasts, and it has fasting meal ideas, which are also really helpful. But I know there is more research out there about fasting and health, and I would have liked to read more about it. There was a little too much anecdata--I really didn't want to read tweets from 5:2 fasters. The cover (though I had the Kindle version) also looks like something designed in the 1980s. Maybe that's trendy now and I'm hopelessly un-trendy?

Overall, the idea of fasting is great, but the book was a little bit goofy. I personally have discovered that fasting won't cure you of a sinus infection. How's that for anecdata?

No comments:

Post a Comment