Sunday, September 2, 2012

Book 56: May the Road Rise Up to Meet You

This is September's book club read. I enjoyed it.

Cover art for MAY THE ROAD RISE UP TO MEET YOU

The characters were engaging, and the story was interesting.

I found its descriptions of awful things (the Civil War, slavery) a lot less disturbing than what I have recently read, so that was nice, though it feels a little like emotional dishonesty. But I was grateful not to have to stop every few minutes and decide if I wanted to continue reading.

I was a little disappointed when I discovered that the characters were all going to be romantically involved with one of the other ones, but that is a peculiar quirk of mine. And the ending was unsatisfying and confusing for reasons I haven't yet figured out for myself.

1 comment:

  1. I mostly liked it too. The only thing I was annoyed about was how all the love and friendship stories worked out so nicely. It was a little too nicely to be believable. But an interesting read nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete