Saturday, May 19, 2012

Book 27: Shanghai Girls

I almost gave up on this one early on. The beginning is not to be read late at night by mothers of small children. Or maybe mothers of any size children. There should be a warning on the cover.



I'm glad I persisted. I loved the complexity of the sister relationship. There is no one like your sister to understand you, and yet no one like your sister to fight with! May says, "When our hair is white, we'll still have our sister love." Your daughters move away, your husband might be a poor match for you, but your sister will always "get it".

I also really enjoyed the way Lisa See makes you wonder about the truth of almost everything you've just read. Perspective is everything.

Now I'm anxious to read Dreams of Joy, the book which picks up where this one left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment