Saturday, March 3, 2012

Book 9: Little Dorrit

February 7 was Charles Dickens' 200th birthday, so what better month to read some Dickens? I picked Little Dorrit, weighing in at an impressive 900ish pages.



It was delightful, though sometimes grim: just what one would expect from Dickens. It was like taking a mental multivitamin. I just felt smarter while reading it.

I loved the characterization: the clerk who pulls on his hair and makes it stand on end to reflect his mood, the rich patriarch with a serene bald head and long silver fringe, the bizarre old aunt who comes up with outrageous invective. Many of the characters are described as greasy or filthy, such that I would have felt relieved to read about some good scrubbings and washings.

The message of selfless duty to others is a good one, but a bit discouraging. I'm not sure I want to spend too much time thinking about wearing myself out in the service of others.

2 comments:

  1. You DO wear yourself out in the service of others. Remember, you are a mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having fun reading through your reviews. I tried reading Tale of Two Cities twice and have never made it through—too much description for me. However, I've recently watched several Masterpiece Theater productions of Dickens' novels. I love them, so I'm giving Dickens' another chance. Bleak House was fantastic, I'm currently enjoying Great Expectations, and I'm going to read Little Dorrit next. I now appreciate how Dickens really paints a picture.

    ReplyDelete