Saturday, March 10, 2012

Book 11: The Creative Habit

I just finished Twyla Tharp's book about using your creativity.



It makes me want to pound out 1500 words a day at my keyboard. Writing what, I'm not sure--I will have to figure that out.

The book was inspiring about "doing" your creative thing. I liked a lot of the ideas for getting going on your creative work, as well as her stories about choreography and dance. Some of the exercises in each chapter seemed a little silly and geared toward dance and choreography, rather than other artistic pursuits. But I didn't try them all out, so perhaps they really do work for sculptors, composers, poets, and novelists.

One thing I realized, though, is that this is not the time in my life when I am free to focus on my craft. I have chosen other things to pursue right now. So for now, the creative habits will have to be filed away for another phase of life.

1 comment: