Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Book 5: How to Be a Woman

Warning: This book is not rated PG.



I don't normally read books that have this much cursing in them--or really any cursing at all. This book also addressed some very adult themes. I actually stopped listening to it and then *dun dun dun* heard the author interviewed on NPR and she sounded so . . . clean and sensible that I had to give it another try. And NPR said it was one of the great books of 2012 that they had "missed". If NPR told me to jump off a bridge, would I do it? Well, maybe.

However, there were some great points made that I've been considering ever since. Some of it was laugh-out-loud funny. Other parts were disturbing or upsetting. But all of it made me think a lot about what it means to be a woman, and what my little girl's life might be like. That is more terrifying than just about anything, really.

1 comment:

  1. It's always different when you listen to an audiobook and there is a lot of cursing v. reading where you can casually skip over it all.

    If NPR told me to jump off a bridge - I would do it - especially if Kai Rysdall or Peter Sagal told me to (and then of course, Peter promised me Carl Kasell would record a voice message for me).

    ReplyDelete