Monday, January 7, 2013

Book 2: Song of Achilles

This was a fictionalized account of Achilles, the warrior, and all the Greek history that goes with it. The whole cast is there--Agamemnon, Iphigenia, Odysseus, Ajax, Hector, Paris, Helen . . . .

The Song of Achilles

I had some moments of consternation at the beginning when I realized just how much I would have to suspend my disbelief--the Greek gods and other magical creatures make their appearances and are, well, magical. And some of the romance was a bit too much for me--I do not generally like reading romance-y anything. And finally, toward the end, I got really mad about a narrative choice the author made that apparently readers were just expected to accept. But overall, it was pretty good.

Perhaps what is best of all is that I feel like reading The Iliad now.

No comments:

Post a Comment