Monday, August 20, 2012

Book 53: Coming Out of the Ice

Didja think I was going to stop reading? It felt (to me) like a long pause between books 52 and 53.

Maybe it was because I kept trying to quit listening to this book. I tried to quit twice within about half an hour the other day. But I always went back because I just had to know what happened.




This is a memoir by Victor Herman, an American man who went, with his family, to the Soviet Union in 1931. His father helped to run a Ford auto plant in Nizhny Novgorod. And, well, bad things started to happen. Any one of them probably should have killed Victor, but he was pretty much indestructible, so he survived assault after assault.

Victor's relationship to his wife, his daughters, his father, and his mother are beautiful aspects of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment