Friday, August 10, 2012

Book 51: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking

Lots of people I know have recommended this book, and it was great, particularly if you are an introvert, or know someone who is (and that really is everyone, since a third to a half of all people are introverts). Personally, I lean a bit toward the introvert side of the spectrum.

quietbookiconlarge Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Cant Stop Talking

One of my favorite parts was about Asian students tending to be more introverted and their perceptions of classroom discussions being a waste of time because student comments can sometimes be nonsense. If you've ever been in a (ridiculous) class where you were graded on your participation (ugh), you have probably seen that in action. It makes me wonder a bit about what my Asian students *really* thought of my classes when I was teaching.

A lot of the Western world is geared toward extroverts, so it's good to be reminded that being introverted does not equal a deficient personality.

1 comment:

  1. I just put this on hold for Ken at the library. I think.
    Nope...Introvert Power. This one sounds good, too. For all of you with deficient personalities, that is. ;p

    ReplyDelete