Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Book 47: Wild: Lost and Found on the Pacific Coast Trail

I heard just a snippet of this author being interviewed on NPR and thought the book sounded interesting enough to try. Apparently, if you want me to read your book, all you have to do is be interviewed on NPR. When I started it, I thought I was reading a West-Coast, female-hiker version of Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods.



Well, I was wrong. The book really turned out to be mostly about an internal journey that is very difficult to describe. I came to understand a bit why the author might have done some of the unfathomable (from my perspective) things she had done prior to starting her trek, and that's the best kind of reading experience there is, I think: beginning to understand someone who is very different from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment