Thursday, June 14, 2012

Book 35: Factory Girls

I stumbled upon this audio book on the library's website and I'm so glad I did. It was fantastic.



This was just fascinating. I was a bit confused at first when the author started weaving her own family's story in with those of the factory workers, but it really did add to the depth of the story. I became acquainted with a few shop girls in my time in China and they were migrant workers. These insights into their lives were enlightening and I wish I had known these things when I was there.

The voice talent for the audio book was great to listen to, except when it came to Chinese words. Once, she had to read a list of 20 Chinese words and I could hear the terror in her voice as she plowed through them. She could have used a little bit more coaching on her pronunciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment