Saturday, April 21, 2012

Book 20: Daniel Stein, Interpreter

No, not Danielle Steele, like Courtney teased. Daniel Stein. Or Даниэль Штайн, переводчик, if you prefer.








April was "Read a Russian Author" month, as suggested by the originator of the 52 books challenge. I initially thought I would read Brothers Karamazov, but I just couldn't bring myself to. Someday . . . .

Instead, I found this contemporary, uplifting (mostly) Russian fiction! Yes, it does exist! It was thought-provoking without being overly heavy, though it was certainly grim and disturbing at times. Daniel Stein is a Jew who survived the Holocaust by acting as an interpreter, and then when his identity was discovered, he was hidden in a convent. He converted to Catholicism, became a Carmelite monk, and then set up a small church community in Israel. The novel is based on the true story of Oswald Rufeisen.

I have new perspectives on many different issues to think about now: questions of identity, good and evil, and religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment