Monday, August 12, 2013

Book 51: Cut It Out

I have read a lot of books about birth. A lot. But this one was different.



Most of my birth-related reading has been to prepare for the births of my two children, both of which occurred at home, with the attendance of a midwife. Naturally, the focus of my reading has therefore been avoiding interventions and having a "natural" (whatever that means) birth.

This was different: it is the report of interviews with OBs, midwives, and labor and delivery nurses, about why they think the rate of c-section in the U.S. has risen in the last decade (in 2011, it was 32.8% nationwide). No one disputes that c-sections are sometimes necessary, but most would agree that 32.8% is higher than the rate should be. The World Health Organization says that a rate of between 5 and 10% is optimal for the health of women and babies. (Lower than 5% could indicate that women and babies do not have access to life-saving procedures when necessary.)

Much of my reading about birth tends to demonize the OB. This gave me a different perspective on the pressures a hospital-practicing physician faces and why. I think it made me more sympathetic to the challenges they face, as many feel unable to practice obstetrics the way they would prefer to.

I received this book as an advance reader copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment