Saturday, March 9, 2013

Book 16: Free-Range Kids

I tried listening to this as an audio book a year or so ago and didn't really like it then, but I enjoyed it much more when actually reading it.



My kids are really too little to be free range, since they are still in the "I have almost no impulse control" stage, but for the future, these are some great ideas. I especially liked the chapter about giving up the illusion of being able to control what happens all the time. That's a concept I could implement throughout my life.

I also appreciated the specific tips she gave for teaching kids self-help skills to keep them safer. It was good to be reminded that most people are good and helpful, and that the world is physically safer for children than it probably ever has been in history (in terms of disease and injury), and that crime rates are lower than they have been since the 1960s.

No comments:

Post a Comment