Monday, February 18, 2013

Book 12: Dear Life

This is Alice Munro's newest short story collection. Waaaaaaay back in high school, I did a big ol' research project on her work, but I hadn't read anything she'd written since then.

DearLife.jpg

The stories were sometimes disturbing--I sometimes dreaded what might come next. Munro isn't prone to excessive exposition, so sometimes I had to adjust my understanding of the story in the middle when I discovered that the narrator was male, or female, or that we were at a sanitorium, or whatever I had not anticipated.

My favorite part was actually the four reminiscences at the end of the book, which are not stories, but semi-fictionalized episodes from Munro's life. They were a little window on her life and experience and I really enjoyed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment