Thursday, December 20, 2012

2013's 5/5 Challenge

I'm starting to think about what 2013 will bring with my reading. I am not sure I will reach 52 books because I'm starting a new job in January, but I think I can still enjoy some good reading.

One challenge I'm taking on is called the 5/5 challenge: to read five works in each of five different genres or categories that I might not ordinarily read, or read that much of. Here are my categories:

  1. Classics. I only finished four classics in 2012!
  2. Dramas. I don't think I've read a play since English 382: Shakespeare. And that was last century. 
  3. Religious or inspirational books. I don't read that many of these, aside from the Standard Works.
  4. Memoirs/Biographies/Autobiographies. I haven't read too many of these, and I really should read more.
  5. "Best Books" or Bestsellers, such as those from the ALA list, or the New York Times.
All the gaps will be filled in with whatever else comes up along the way.

It makes me a bit nervous to constrain my reading this way, but hopefully it will be enriching and enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment